4/5/16

Letter to my Mortician


If I had the ability, I would apologize for the smear I have left on your steel table. But, since I do not have the ability to give voice to my inclinations at this time, I will lay patient while you perform the task that you have taken on, in service of this body, which I used to inhabit.
Every dead cell you manipulate into position is grateful and yielding. They thank you. I thank you, inasmuch that I am able. My mouth is wired to a gentle smile, restful.
Tubes drain me of blood and various waters. Tubes fill me to brimming with the substances that will preserve this flesh. A kind of simulated plumpness ensues, which belies my distinct lack of motion and life. Disinfectant permeates all, for your protection. Though I would have wished to be stuffed with dried flowers and herbs, I cannot begrudge convention, especially given my current state.
What meaning would my life have had to you if I were meeting you just a few weeks ago? This husk, this slough house, a vehicle of bile and putrid phlegm would have been a conduit of love and ideation. But, the bloat you slit is not the seat of my intuition. It smells like a dead fart. Thank you for expressing the contents.
The years I had were bright and warm and beautiful. If only I had chosen cremation.

No comments:

Post a Comment